July 4, 2021- Holiday Weekend Guidance
As we look forward to celebrating Independence Day, the below guidelines will be in effect for the holiday weekend, beginning Friday, July 2nd, through Monday, July 5th for island transportation and RIOC-controlled open spaces and facilities:
- Tram - The Tram will run regular weekend service on 7/2nd, 7/3rd and 7/5th. A rush hour schedule will be implemented on Sunday, July 4th between 7 AM – 8 PM, with both Trams operating at full capacity. There will be no Tram shuttle bus. Please see holiday weekend schedule info at: rioc.ny.gov/302
- Red Bus – The Red Bus will run on its weekend schedule on Fri. 7/2nd, Sat. 7/3rd and Mon. 7/5th. On Sunday, July 4th, the Red Bus will run on the weekday schedule and there will be no Octagon Express bus. Please see schedule at: rioc.ny.gov/368
- F Train - Please plan your travel accordingly and visit mta.info/weekender or call 511 for more information. For electronic updates on F Train service, sign up for MTA Alerts at mymtaalerts.com
- Q102 Bus - The Q102 will not serve any stops on Roosevelt Island during preparation and viewing for the Macys 4th of July Fireworks. Buses will operate in both directions between 27th Ave at 2nd St. and Vernon Blvd. at 36th Ave., the last stop.
- NYC Ferry Service - Please note that ferry service across all routes will end early on Sunday, July 4th. The last Wall Street/Pier 11 departure bound for E 90th Street will be at 4:19 PM. The last E 90th Street departure bound for Wall Street/Pier 11 will be at 4:38 PM. For more info, go to: Ferry.nyc
Please be aware of the following guidance for island parking and vehicular traffic:
Beginning Friday, July 2nd at 11 PM through Monday July 5th at 11 PM, there will be no street parking south of the R.I. Tram station. Additionally, parking restrictions will be implemented in the following areas:
- Around the entire Cornell Tech Campus (East /West Loop Roads and North/South Loop Roads)
- In the vicinity of 250 - 281 Main Street
On Sunday, July 4th:
- No vehicular traffic except for resident, emergency and delivery vehicles will be allowed on the Roosevelt Island Bridge, from 11 AM to 11 PM.
- Visitor parking at the Motorgate Garage will be limited to ensure adequate parking for residents and patrons with a monthly permit. Residents without a monthly access card should be prepared to show proof of residency when approaching the Roosevelt Island Bridge at Vernon Boulevard.
- Residents who need to park in Motorgate should arrive no later than 3 PM on Sunday, July 4th to secure admittance into the garage.
FACILITY & PARK CLOSURES
SUNDAY, JULY 4TH:
- All RIOC administrative offices
- Southpoint Park, unless you have a valid ticket to the Fireworks event
- Four Freedoms Park, unless you have a valid ticket to the Fireworks event
MONDAY, JULY 5TH:
- All RIOC administrative offices
In addition, the Public Safety Department (PSD) will be patrolling the island, with extra patrols focusing on parks, recreation and transportation areas.
For further details on the Roosevelt Island Fourth of July Family Fireworks Celebration, please visit: rioc.ny.gov/373
As a reminder, kindly continue to practice physical distancing, wear face masks/coverings in accordance with CDC guidelines (including wearing masks on public transportation like the Roosevelt Island Tram and Red Bus), and take other necessary precautions to minimize the risk of COVID-19 transmission, such as frequent hand-washing.
Have a safe and healthy holiday weekend!